Monday, July 27, 2009

Summer and my Hamilton Beach Slow Cooker

What a great invention... slow cookers.  This Tuesday night I will be fixing homemade apple sauce and homemade mac and cheese.  All I do is core and peel the apples with my Pampered Chef apple peeler, add brown sugar and pumpkin spice and let my slow cooker do the rest.  It is so so good.   For the homemade mac and cheese,  it's best to buy the blocks of Kraft cheddar cheese and then use my Cuisinart (purchased 22 years ago when starting my first cooking co-op) to grate the cheese - very moist.  The ingredients include mac, cheese, butter,egg, salt, dry mustard and milk.  With cooking co-op,  I can spend more on good quality ingredients since I am saving money by cooking in quantity, planning ahead so I am not buying  fast food instead- fast, yes but 2-3 times more expensive.  So what equipment is needed to start your cooking co-op?  This week I will use my slow cooker, apple core and peeler, a food processor with different blades, a large pot to boil the macaroni, and a very large bowl to mix the cheese, mac etc.  I will divide the applesauce in Glad-type containers and the mac and cheese will be in pyrex containers- ready to go straight in the oven.  Excite your taste buds this week!