Monday, October 12, 2009

10th Cooking Co-Op in 22 Years

Once you are hooked on the benefits of cooking co-op, just realize your first group will not last forever. A move to a new city interupted my first incredible co-op. My last group, which are featured in my DVD, changed as Rick's co-worker heard about the wonders of banding together to make dinnertime special and wanted in. I had wanted to see co-op formations at work as a way to get to know my co-workers better and to help more families answer the question: "What's for dinner?" When one group ends, do not look at it mournfully. Look at it as an opportunity for new recipes. My new co-op works like this: Kim and I cook every week. Then the gourmet cooks, Craig and Cynthia cook every other week and we brought in Maryanne and Kim to cook on the alternate week. We literally go home with the "bacon". After Kim's first week, she shared with me the benefits: Grocery bill was cut in half, children ate what the "friends" at work prepared, adults enjoyed more variety, less stress, and they found free time on the nights she was not cooking. After receiving 3 co-op dinners, Kim's very young daughter made the "friends" at work a gift- home-made chocolate cookies-better than bacon!