Monday, February 22, 2010

Serve!

Having just come back from 5:30am tennis, I am reminded of the importance of the serve. The serve gets the game going and it also sets the tone for the point. Last week, as I thought about the YouTube show on Good Table Manners(1951) by Coronet, I read Phil.2:4, "Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others." I realized that the family in the show were serving "family- style" with serving dishes which required patience to wait for your turn to get the food and courtesy. I had recently been impatient when the Heinz 57 was not passed to me quickly. I have not been using serving platters and I see some important lessons serving dishes can teach all of us. Serving dishes can be very pretty and the platters can be easy to put in the dishwasher. Plus with cooking co-op, if you use pyrex dishes, you can reheat your food then just set it on the table with a hot pad and pass the meat, please. Serving the food"family-style" is a daily reminder to look out for the interests of others. These daily details are important to practice- just ask the Olympic athletes- and go serve!