Monday, May 21, 2012

Up and Atom

That was the title of the women's leadership fundraising initiative in which 400 women came together at the Science Museum of Virginia for breakfast this week.  I had the opportunity to hear Naomi Vickers, a 7th grade student from St. Catherine's School speak on "Why I love the Science Musuem?"  I had a tear in my eye as her curiousity, intelligence and humor were on display.  She described how the visual exhibitions of science stimulated her ability to learn and understand and made it fun.  So to test out one of my theories, I went up to her mother afterwards, congratulated her on her daughter's talk and asked if they ate dinner together as a family. Her immediate response was "Yes- all the time and it started with my mother who is over there."  So I go and speak with Naomi's grandmother.  She told me she had been a career woman but she wanted to hear from her children the exciting events of the day.  And she could "catch it all at the dinner table."  She added there was no TV on and that she always regulated TV time.  She added that "some things need to be constant."  Let me add that Naomi, her mother and grandmother are beautiful, fit and trim- a picture of a lovely family wise in knowing what's most important on any schedule for the day.  Let the family dinner hour be a constant in your home and see what blossoms