Monday, June 29, 2009

A Lesson from John Adams for the 4th

David McCullough in his book JOHN ADAMS describes this: It's George Washington's 2nd term, John Adams is vice-president- a time of turmoil in which Adams shares with Abigail, "this Constitution can not stand... I see nothing but a dissolution of government and immediate war."  During a rare one-on-one dinner with the President, Adams wrote, " he detained me there 'til nine o'clock and was never more frank and open about politics.  I find his opinions and sentiments more like my own than I ever knew..."  I laughed out loud as I read this.  These two founding fathers had know each other 20 years, but only while dining alone did Adams discover George Washington's inner thoughts.  Dinner is a time to discuss and reaffirm what we believe.  The act of sitting down to the dinner table documents who and what is important to us.  This Saturday the fireworks here start at 9 p.m.  Post your set time for dinner hour and see what opinions you discover.