Monday, September 21, 2009

The Power of Making a Commitment

So 22 years ago, I made a commitment in Charlotte, NC to be a part of my first cooking co-op.  I was not wild about the idea, but I liked the group and reluctantly said yes.  I was hooked after the first week. Then 6 months ago I made a commitment to blog once a week about the cooking co-op or the importance of dinnertime in your own home.  Hopefully, you are being encouraged but I have been amazed at how much I have enjoyed and learned from this commitment.  Just last week, I took my own advise and ASKED 3 potential co-oppers to be a part of our new group at work- 1 no, 2 yes.  So tonight I will receive a coq au vin dinner from a Senior Vice President, also mother of 3, and Thursday night, a male financial adviser, another Vice President, father of 1,  will bring a shrimp pasta dinner.  Both are tremendous cooks!  I now realize I need to ASK more.  My husband, son and I have been coming up with 3 things we are thankful for-can't repeat.  My husband discovered our son was thankful for Dad taking him to the UVA football games despite a 0-3 record.  Priceless!  What would happen if we became a nation of people making commitments?  Try it and be energized.