Monday, November 16, 2009

Cooking Co-Op and Courage

Last week I read this: "Commit to acts of compassion that will alleviate distress and inspire courage, spirit, and hope." I zeroed in on the word courage and that word kept coming up. I saw part of "The Wizard of Oz". I always loved the cowardly lion singing "If I were King of the Forest." It turned out that all the lion really needed was a medal of honor. Then this morning I read in Becky Tirabassi's newsletter about "...courage to change the areas of our lives that are stagnant...the need for something to excite us...start doing something that is healthy." So here is the definition for courage: That quality of mind or spirit enabling one to meet danger or opposition with fearlessness, calmness, and firmness." There is a great deal of distress and stagnation centered around the dinner hour. And it takes COURAGE to try cooking co-op and face the internal fears of cooking in quantity, the fear of putting your cooking to the taste test, facing the opposition of ads saying let us cook for you, and the calmness and firmness to deal with the inevitable mishaps(firetruck arrives at my home after trying a new recipe). Joy is the medal you receive for cooking dinner-an outstanding act of service for your family!