Monday, April 20, 2009

Columbine- 10 Years Later

Since I began cooking co-op in 1986,  I have kept my eyes and ears open to any media coverage on the importance of family meals.  After the Columbine shooting,  I heard a radio interview of one of the survivors.  Asked if she or her family were doing anything differently in the wake of the tragedy, she said "... we had gotten away from having family dinners together and we are now going back to it."  How we appreciate the ordinary everyday pleasures when we almost lose them.  A 5th grade teacher shared that only 5 out of his 18 students sat down at the table on a regular basis for dinner.  The magic # is FOUR- FOUR or more family meals lead to better students with less risky behavior.  See helpful resources on my web page and read the benefits of eating together.  Click on contact me at the bottom of the page and let me know about your "home improvements."  President Obama and his wife Michelle, make a concerted effort to have family meals with their beautiful girls.  What if we could raise the % of students having FOUR or more family meals a week form 30% to 50%?  Would grades improve?  Would it lower the drop-out rate and obesity rate?  Let the table talk begin this week.