Monday, April 27, 2009

Economy Means Management of a Household

Economy comes from the Greek word(my daughter at UVA is taking a Greek exam today) oikonomia meaning management of a household: task, work, responsibility.  The health of an economy starts with each household so perhaps the problem of our current economy is we have not been managing our household spending well.  In this economy, why not try a new way of managing to get dinner on the table and start pocketing tremendous savings in more needed areas? Pay yourself instead of paying cooks in restaurants and fast food lines.  This week,  I served taco salad and fresh fruit for my co-op group.  I did not buy the cheapest meat- I bought better quality lean ground beef, named brands for my cheese, chips, cans of corn, kidney beans, taco sauce.  The cost-$3.60 per person- half the cost of fast food yet I had fresh fruits and lettuce in my meal and I had left overs!  I saved $$$ on driving- one trip to the grocery store.  I had to go anyway to get milk etc.  How about the convenience and time savings of dinner sitting in MY refrigerator.  Be sure to check out the helpful resources tab - click to see and hear tuna cakes sizzle.  Let a bad economy get you into a good habit-cook for a night, eat for a week!