Saturday, April 4, 2009

Pressure is a Privilege

This is the title of Billie Jean King's new book.  I'm reading this after watching the North Carolina Tarheels defeat Villanova in the semi-finals of the Final Four.  How about the pressure Tyler Hansbrough, Ty Lawson- players and coaches- had to handle in front of 72,000 screaming fans.  Yes, on Tuesday nights, the pressure is on with cooking co-op- I have to deliver my meal Wednesday morning.  As in sports,  I have to focus and get the job done.  It takes preparation(menu planning,grocery list, grocery shopping), it takes committment( my desire to celebrate the day with my family at mealtime), it takes instincts(finding the right recipe-tastes good, not too time consuming), it's about team work(getting help from family, friends, aquaintances), and it's about finances(saving money by planning-taking advantage of specials, less eating out, fewer trips to the grocery store, less waste).  Billy Jean says,"...we are fortunate to have this opportunity and the pressure that goes along with it.  Nothing great ever comes easy.  Great accomplishments often require struggle..."  The joy of victory the Carolina Tarheels are experiencing right now is huge.  When I deliver my prepared special dinner on Wednesday morning,  that's my victory lap.